From: Will Yardley <mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mutt-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to change the "From: " of an outgoing email to any account on the machine
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:35:12 -0700

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:28:59PM +0000, Joe Hansen wrote:

> I have three user accounts on my Linux box: joe, hansen, joe12
>
> I use the following command to send emails and it works great.
> mutt -s "my subject" email-id@xxxxxxxxxxx < message.txt
>
> When I am logged in as "joe", I would like to have the capability to send > email as "hansen@xxxxxxxxxx" or "joe12@xxxxxxxxxx" (rather than the default
> "joe@xxxxxxxxxx") from the shell prompt. How would I be able to do that?

setting the from address is usually done with:
set from="blah@xxxxxxxxxxx"
# optionally
set realname="My Name"

You can also use "my_hdr From:" instead.

If you want to do this from the command line as described above, you
could either create different config files and reference them with "-F",
or use the "-e" flag to set the appropriate command(s).

If you're using mutt in interactive mode, and wish to automagically use
the correct address to respond, check TFM for $alternates and
$reverse_name.

> And one more doubt, where would my muttrc file be located? I ran the
> "locate muttrc" command and all I got was...

You would create your own - it would be ~/.muttrc. The system-wide
config would be in (sysconfdir)/Muttrc - normally /etc/Muttrc or
/usr/local/etc/Muttrc.