what is the correct format to specify a new mailbox?

Hello

I use version Mutt 1.3.28i (2002-03-13) on my Debian Woody computer
and in my .muttrc I specify mailboxes explicitly with:

mailboxes ~/mail/office ~/mail/family ~/mail/root ~/mail/gmail

I have about 16 mailboxes on this one line. I dont remember where I
got this from, a .muttrc floating around the net someplace but it
works, if i need an new one I ju st mkdir/mail/newbox and add it to
that muttrc line.

Now on another machine, running Debian Sid, Mutt 1.5.9i (2005-03-13)
I have attempted to use the same method but if I try to copy some mail
to one of the boxes I created I get "family/ is not a mailbox"

Looking at /usr/share/doc/mutt/examples/sample.muttrc.gz I see:

mailboxes ! +mutt-dev +mutt-users +open-pgp +wmaker +hurricane +vim

So I set mine the same:

mailboxes ! +office +family +root +gmail

same error though.

looking around on the net I have also seen:

mailboxes ! =office =family =root =gmail

and this dosent work either.

Whats the correct way to do this and what is the difference between +
and = ?

Thanks

--
Angelina Carlton