Re: setting default encodings

* On 2005.04.13, in <20050413145640.GA3594@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "John J. Foster" <Mutt-Users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, I thought I had a handle on character sets before this thread
> started. Now I'm confused again. The above line looked like the
> following to me in the original email.
> (eg. ASCII(space)(rectangle)(space)Latin1 ........
> In the reply it looked like
> (eg. ASCII(space)(3 question marks)(space)Latin1........

I sounds like you're fine. As Toby mentioned, a rectangle is most likely
an indication that your font isn't equipped with that glyph. You should
be able to confirm this with some font twiddling.

In the reply you saw three question marks where unicode had been because
the person whose reply you read has a mutt config that isn't decoding
the unicode. Since it can't decode unicode, quoted unicode characters
get inserted into her mail as question marks. Your mutt is just echoing
the question marks that hers replaced the unicode with.

--
 -D.                          "Neque  porro  quisquam  est qui  dolorem
 dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx             ipsum quia  dolor  sit amet, consectetur,