Re: setting default encodings

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:22:57PM -0400, Paul Tremblay wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:12:57AM +0200, Toby wrote:
> >
> > Michael's line reads:
> > "I think you're looking for the 'charset' and 'send_charset' variables;
> > look them up in the manual and experiment with various settings."
>
> It does? Are lines magically appearing in your emails that aren't
> appearing in mine?
>

> > > If I get an email in UTF-8, I need to send it in UTF-8. If I
> > > accidently send it out as ASCII, then it becomes garbled.
> >
> > If I get an email in UTF-8 and forward or reply to it, my editor shows
> > the correct international characters (does yours?)  Then, when I exit
> > the editor, mutt recognizes those characters and recodes the message in
> > the minimum charset which can contain all the characters used.
> > (eg. ASCII ??? Latin1 ??? Unicode  ???  this mail will be sent in UTF-8 :)
OK, I thought I had a handle on character sets before this thread
started. Now I'm confused again. The above line looked like the
following to me in the original email.
(eg. ASCII(space)(rectangle)(space)Latin1 ........
In the reply it looked like
(eg. ASCII(space)(3 question marks)(space)Latin1........

> > The fact that you need to manually set the encoding when replying or
> > forwarding some mail is a symptom of a deeper problem with your
> > terminal, editor or locale settings.

In an email further down this thread, there was
"Here is a Unicode star for your tests: ★"
I see a rectangle.
<what-key> shows Char = \x85, Octal = 205, Decimal = 133

From http://www.rano.org/mutt.html
When I type the following at a shell prompt:
echo -e "'\303\204\304\211\320\257'"
I get an A with umlaut, a c with circumflex, and a Russian letter,
between quotes

What I think are relevant settings on my machine are:

locale=en_US.utf8
charset="utf-8"
send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15:windows-1252:utf-8"
putty version 0.58 with translation=utf-8

OK, I'm done making noise

John
--
It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.