Re: Adding a bunch of image attachments

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 08:52:24PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > I needed to attach a bunch of images to a message in Mutt.  Is there
> > > an easy way to deal with multiple attachments?  Tagging doesn't seem
> > > available.
>
> Tagging works just fine.  "man mutt muttrc"

Argh!  I had removed %t from my folder_format setting so didn't see
that tag.

The reason I had modified folder_format was that I use imap and when
I look at folders with new messages ( c?<tab> ) the actual mailbox
name is truncated -- so I need to make my screen wide to actually see
what mailboxes have new mail.  In my normal-width window I see:

-- Mutt: Mailboxes [2]
 1   4
imaps://moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/IN
 2   8
imaps://moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/li
 3   6
imaps://moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/mo
 4   3
imaps://moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/li
 5   0
imaps://moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/li
 6   857
imaps://moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/

As you can see, the truncation makes it impossible to see the names of
the mailbox with that window width.  So, I had changed folder_format
to remove the blank fields, leaving more room for the folder name.
But, that also means my other folder displays (like when attaching a
file) are missing columns, too.

Separate "folder_format" settings for that "new mail" listing and
other folder listings would be helpful -- that and also separate
"mask" settings would also be nice (using a mask of \.png$ is helpful
for selecting my image attachments, but not appropriate for showing
which imap folders have new mail, of course).

> > > So I selected attach and made my way to the directory where the images
> > > were located.  I could hit the <space> key and view the images
> > > one-by-one and then select it if I wanted to add it.  Unfortunately,
> > > the image files are huge -- viewing a thumbnail would have made life
> > > easier.
>
> You do not tag messages with the <space> key.  "man mutt muttrc"
> Search for and read: "Using Tags"

You can *view* a file with the <space> key when selecting files.

> > > The other pain is that mutt only shows the first X characters
> > > in the attachment list, and the paths were longer than that.  So every
> > > file listed in the attachment window had the same text (the filename
> > > had been truncated).  So I couldn't see what files I had already added.
>
> Make your term wider or change the display parameters.

Making my term wider has no effect -- the attached name is still
truncated due to the %.40d in the default attach_format.  Setting
that to a larger width helps, but the paths I was working with when I
posted this were much longer, so I'd have to use quite a wide window.
I was wondering if there was a way to use basename() of the attached
file by default for the description instead of the full path.

I guess the easiest thing is to use "rename-file" (R) to trim down
the file name shown in the description one-by-one.

> Lots, a few mentioned above.  Reading the documentation and following
> the mail list and looking in the archives will reveal a lot.

Yes, wise words, indeed.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@xxxxxxxx