Re: Wish: -r option to recover a crashed session

On 2004-07-09, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21:59 05 Jul 2004, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | On 2004-07-05, "Roy S. Rapoport" <mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | > Dude, Mun Johl seems to specifically address _mutt_ dying.
> |
> | In his original posting he began,
> |
> |     There are times when I'm going through my mbox and I have
> |     deleted items, applied labels, etc. and before I sync up the
> |     file I loose my network connection for some reason.
> |
> | So while he was asking for a solution to the general problem of mutt
> | dying, his specific problem seemed to be that his network connection
> | was dropping.
>
> Then he's probably getting a SIGHUP as his terminal hangs up.
>
> Sounds like one route would be to give mutt a "sync--and-quit-on-HUP-or-TERM"
> switch, defaulting to on. Thoughts?

That would update the state of the current folder before mutt
stopped, but it wouldn't save anything else about the state of mutt
before it stopped, which may or may not be OK.  If the user was in
the compose menu, for example, nothing about the message being
composed would be saved.  I'm not sure what would happen if the user
was editing a message when SIGHUP was generated.

So my thought is that a "sync--and-quit-on-HUP-or-TERM" switch
wouldn't be enough to avoid frustrating data loss upon an unexpected
hang-up.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division