Re: Long delay after opening maildir mailbox?

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:20:54PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Sander Smeenk, and lo! it spake thus:

> Since a while i began to notice that mutt takes quite some time to
> 'enter a mailbox' on some occasions. The mailbox has about 900
> messages with various states (N, O, read). If i open the mailbox, i
> see mutt count to about 850, then it stalls for 6 or 7 seconds
> before showing the messages index.
>
> Did anyone notice something similar, or maybe something that could
> cause these delays? I must admit i haven't looked in the source to
> see what actually goes on at that moment...

I noticed this when I moved from 1.4.x to 1.5.x; it seems to run up
the count when it reads the directory to get the list of files, not
when it reads and parses the individual files.  I find it sufficiently
annoying that it's on my list to root around and "fix" it, but not
quite annoying enough that I've done it yet.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx