Long delay after opening maildir mailbox?

Hello,

Since a while i began to notice that mutt takes quite some time to
'enter a mailbox' on some occasions. The mailbox has about 900 messages
with various states (N, O, read). If i open the mailbox, i see mutt
count to about 850, then it stalls for 6 or 7 seconds before showing the
messages index.

Then when i switch to another box, and back to where i came from, it's
quick again on most occasions. It doesn't have much to do with building
threads, i guess, since opening a mailbox with subsequent messages
sometimes also has a delay like opening a mailbox full of mailinglist
threads.

Did anyone notice something similar, or maybe something that could cause
these delays? I must admit i haven't looked in the source to see what
actually goes on at that moment...

Kind regards,
Sander.