<shell-escape>... [user input]<other-commands>

Is it possible to have a macro with a <shell-escape> that accepts some
user input to add to the command line, and then continue with some
other mutt functions?  I'm trying to wrap up into one macro a search
using mairix and then showing the results immediately, something like:

macro index S \
"<shell-escape>mairix XXXX<enter><change-folder-readonly>+Search<enter>"

My mairix search places the results into +Search.

I want the XXXX to be obtained in the same way as
"<shell-escape>mairix " would do it - i.e., allow the user to input
the XXXX before moving on to the result of the mutt functions in the
macro?

Thanks,
Graham