Re: Hide (future) uninteresting messages

On 10/06/04 15.13, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sorry for the foggy subject, I couldn't find a better one...
>
> I follow several high traffic mailing lists. Very often, a new message
> starts a thread which will last for many days and messages.
>
> If I have no interest in that thread, deleting it all won't save me
> time. The morning after, I'll find several orphaned (sub)-threads with
> all the messages since my last visit, and need to delete them again.
> Ditto the day after.
>
> How can I have mutt do all the following for me?
[snip]
> I have read the manual, and imagine that this requires some
> combination of piping via macros to external scripts, use of folder
> hooks, tags and the "limit" function.
>
> I'd like to ask confirmation, however: is all the above possible, or
> not? Which is the correct sequence of things to add (without risking
> to lose good email)? Did anybody do it already? Examples/tips?

One option would be to have procmail handle it (assuming that you use
procmail, otherwise feel free to disregard).

First task is to identify the thread and tag it. That should be doable
with <tag-pattern>.

Then feed the messages to a script, that extracts msgids (and possibly
other identifying headers) and appends them to a file.

Then have procmail check all candidate mails for references to msgids
in the killfile. Here you have a bunch of options: You can simply
/dev/null the matching mails, you can file them to a seperate mailbox,
or you can fiddle with their headers (set the read flag, set an
X-header for sorting, etc.).

If you delete the mails or file them somewhere else, you are done.

If you still deliver them, you may get a notification, depending on
your choice of mailbox format (mbox is pretty sure to show as new,
maildir maybe, IMAP probably not), but you can at least <limit> the
killed mails out, using an X-header and a folder-hook.

That is, in broad strokes, how I would do it. HTH.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
                -- Albert Einstein