Re: Mutt + Maildir

Oops.  Used 'r' instead of 'L' to reply.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:37:06PM -0400, Aaron wrote:
> Mutt users!
>
> I created a Maildir structure using a script to convert my existing mbox
> files to Maildir formatted files, but now I'm having a hell of a time
> getting mutt to actually read them...

Can't help you here.  mutt can manage with mbox and Maildir
simultaneously.  I keep my old mbox stuff set aside and I'll
navigate into it from time to time and snatch an email or two. I
found the conversion business to be unnecessary, but YMMV.

> What is the absolute bare minimum of config options for environment
> variables and .muttrc quadoptions to make Maildir work? This is what I
> have currently that seemed like the best bet:
>
> set folder=~/Maildir
> set spoolfile=+INBOX
> set mbox_type=Maildir

OK.
> mailboxes =Maildir

Here's the problem.

this means: ~/Maildir/Maildir
which probably does not exist.

try this:

mailboxes /home/youraccount/Maildir

or this:

mailboxes ~/Maildir

or this:

mailboxes =

or:

mailboxes +

(mutt never has enough options IMO)

>From the FM:

Note: the filenames in the mailboxes command are resolved when the
command is executed, so if these names contain shortcut characters (such
as ``='' and ``!''), any variable definition that affect these
characters (like $folder and $spoolfile) should be executed before the
mailboxes command.

> I honestly don't know which combination I need or what syntax to use.
> The mutt docs seem to think that mutt will figure out the format and
> mbox_type isn't strictly necessary, but when I launch mutt I get a
> blank screen.

You are at the spoolfile location; check that info bar at the bottom
of your screen; you have no mail file in your +INBOX

> I can switch manually into ~/Maildir/, at which point I
> see my subdirs:
>
> ./
> cur/
> new/
> tmp/

When you launch, use 'c' then '?' then use <tab> to toggle between
viewing directories and mailboxes; when in mailbox mode select the
mailbox and press "Enter"; you should be looking at an index of
messages

> But if I switch into one of those, I don't see mail, I see Maildir
> files! I'm missing some magic switch, I think. Or perhaps my syntax is
> wrong?

I duplicated what you describe.

You shouldn't change into cur or new or tmp; use <tab> to toggle to
the mailbox viewing mode

> I have looked through all of the docs and all of the sample .muttrc
> files (which are overwhelmingly mbox or IMAP), and found nothing.
>
> You folks are my last hope.

Never, ever, give up.

--
Michael Mueller