Mutt + Maildir

Mutt users!

I created a Maildir structure using a script to convert my existing mbox
files to Maildir formatted files, but now I'm having a hell of a time
getting mutt to actually read them...

What is the absolute bare minimum of config options for environment
variables and .muttrc quadoptions to make Maildir work? This is what I
have currently that seemed like the best bet:

set folder=~/Maildir
set spoolfile=+INBOX
set mbox_type=Maildir
mailboxes =Maildir

I honestly don't know which combination I need or what syntax to use.
The mutt docs seem to think that mutt will figure out the format and
mbox_type isn't strictly necessary, but when I launch mutt I get a
blank screen. I can switch manually into ~/Maildir/, at which point I
see my subdirs:

../
cur/
new/
tmp/

But if I switch into one of those, I don't see mail, I see Maildir
files! I'm missing some magic switch, I think. Or perhaps my syntax is
wrong?

I have looked through all of the docs and all of the sample .muttrc
files (which are overwhelmingly mbox or IMAP), and found nothing.

You folks are my last hope.

Thanks,

--
Aaron