Re: Weed headers when using mime_forward

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 04:50:58AM EDT, Jostein Berntsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I will forward a mail with an attachment I use mime_forward, but I
> have noticed that then the headers is not weeded. This is especially
> needed when I must forward a Lotus Notes mail. The recipient get a lot
> of useless headers in their mail.

Weeding headers in generally impossible by design when mime_forward is
set without getting rid of the message/rfc822 content-type, which would
kinda defeat the whole purpose of mime_forward.  The "right" solution is
for the recipient to only show the headers that the user wants to see,
as it probably already does for the outer email.  Sadly, if that recipient
happens to be a Mutt user, he's out of luck unless he uses a static weed
set, since message-hooks aren't called for message/rfc822 attachments.

> When I forward with mime_forward=no the headers are weeded.

...which is hardly surprising - it simply indicates that Mutt works ;-)

>  I have also
> have set this in muttrc:
> set weed=yes

hence the lack of surprise ;-)

> Is there an option I can use here?

As I pointed out, weeding headers can confuse smart MUAs, and may
even void the message/rfc822 content-type, possibly even causing
think-they're-smart MUAs to crash while trying to parse the attachment.

> I use mutt version 1.5.6i.

That's a bad version.  Get CVS.  (Search Google for a web-based version
of the CVS ChangeLog since 1.5.6i was released, and you'll see what I'm
talking about - many bugs resolved.  I tend to find CVS HEAD to be the
most stable Mutt version, period, FWIW.)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel