Re: Using mutt for MMDF to mbox conversion -- problem!

* René Clerc <rene@xxxxxxxx> [04-02-04 14:37]:

> However, mutt -f <new_folder> gives me back less messages!  Inspection
> learns that some messages are concatenated; apparently, some From_
> headers were not written.  I find this very strange (because on MMDF,
> mutt was able to seperately identify the messages.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?  If this is a mutt problem, I'll be
> glad to help track down the problem (provided, of course, that someone
> gives me a hint on how to convert my MMDF folders..) ;-)

I do not know that it is a mutt problem but I recall that procmail will
do what you need, ie:

man procmail:
       -f fromwhom
            Causes procmail to regenerate the leading From ' line with
            fromwhom as the sender (instead of -f one could use the
            alternate and obsolete -r).  If fromwhom consists merely of a
            single -', then procmail will only update the timestamp on
            the From ' line (if present, if not, it will generate a new
            one).

Pipe your suspect mail folder bach thru procmail and, perhaps
include the following recipe:

# Work around procmail bug: any output on stderr will cause the "F" in
# "From" to be dropped.  This will re-add it.
:0
* ^^rom[ ]
{
  LOG="*** Dropped F off From_ header! Fixing up. "

  :0 fhw
  | sed -e '1s/^/F/'
}

formail -ds procmail -f - -m sandbox.including.'from'.recipe.rc < mbox.file

warning, usual disclaimers, command-line untested.

gud luk,
HOG # US1244711