Re: Just a question

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 06:23:28AM EST, René Clerc wrote:
> * David Yitzchak Cohen <lists+mutt_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-04-2004 13:16]:

> > As for WU-IMAPd, I like it more than Cyrus, because I find the folder
> > layout more logical.  I'm not wedded to it, though, and if my experiment
> > with FUSE (rewriting my address book manager into a filesystem) turns out
> > to be a success, the whole IMAPd mess is going to be replaced by a brand
> > new daemon that'll maintain a virtual mail filesystem (similar to Plan9's
> > mailfs) from an mbox backend.  (If I feel like it, I'll also code up some
> > Mutt support for it.  (It'll be 100% reliable by design, and depending
> > on implementation can probably be made arbitrarily efficient, since the
> > entire mbox can theoretically be cached without race conditions.)  Else,
> > I'll just write a trivial IMAPd to feed Mutt from the virtual filesystem.)
>
> I recently switched from uw-imapd (wasn't that what you meant, Dave?)

Um, yeah, that's what I meant :-)

> dovecot.  Simply because I was annoyed by the fact that a standard
> uw-imapd compile included the mbox driver, which automatically moves
> e-mail from the spool file to my mbox.

Yeah, that annoyed me a tad at first, but I find my main mbox to be a
more logical place for my mail anyway, so I don't care much.

> Dovecot is pretty fast and reliable.  I like it.

UW-IMAPd is fast enough and reliable enough for me.  If I change my mind
at some future point, though, it's nice to know there are other products
that can be used as a more-or-less drop-in replacement for it :-)

Thanks for your input (as always),
 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel