Re: Setting up mutt with procmail

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:57:54PM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I have been checking my fastmail account with Evolution for quite a
> while with no issues. But, I wanted to try mutt for a mailer and take
> advantage of some of the more advanced procmail functionality as well. I
> currently have a number of folders for mailing lists and rules (filters)
> set up with my fastmail account to route mail to these folders.
>
> My question is what would be the best way to set this up with mutt,
> fetchmail, and procmail such that I can maintain the folder hierarchy
> and also still leave mail on the server until it is manually deleted? Is
> this possible using this setup? I understand I can use mutt to connect
> directly to the fastmail IMAP server, but I'd like to use some of the
> things I've written into my procmailrc, so I'd want to use fetchmail to
> 'get' the mail, pass to procmail, and then let mutt be the viewer. Is
> anyone here on the list doing this, and if so could you help me with how
> you set this up?

This is exactly what I do on my system.  I have my .fetchmailrc as the
following:

set logfile /home/paladin/.fetchmail/fetchmail.log

poll example.com localdomains example.com:
    with protocol imap
    username XXXXXXX password XXXXXXXX
    ssl
;

This delivers it to my locally running sendmail, which in turn passes it
on to procmail.  In my .procmailrc I have entries like the following:

:0:
* ^(From|Cc|To).*mutt-users.*@mutt.org
* MUTT

Then have my mutt set up to check all the various local folders for
mail.

Hope this helps.

--
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
(Against stupidity, even the Gods struggle in vain.)