s/mime: wrong content type ???

In my recent travails getting s/mime working seamlessly with mutt, I
have been testing my setup with an associate, who knows even less than I
do.  The clincher is, he is using Novell GroupWise 6.0.3.Beta.  Both of
us are using Thawte's personal email certificates.

I can send signed and/or encrypted messages to him without problems.  It
is possible for me to successfully verify his signed messages and to
decrypt his encrypted messages; but, not without a hitch.

All of his s/mime messages to me contain this *SAME* header:

Whether he simply signs the message, -OR- encrypts the message, that is
the Content-Type header that he sends.

I have examined several messages from me to me, and from him to me, and
I have found the following header allows me to decrypt encrypted
messages:

Notice this difference:

   smime-type=enveloped-data

In other words, when the Content-Type header tells me that it contains
`enveloped-data', then I can decrypt it.

I have tried to catch those Content-Type headers and add that data
element via Procmail; but, then his signed-only messages fail.

Notice, my messages have a _different_ header for signed-only:

           micalg=sha1; boundary="Enx9fNJ0XV5HaWRu"

So, we have two (2) problems:

[1] His MUA does not use the `pkcs7-signature' mime type; and

[2] His MUA does not tell me when it has `enveloped-data'.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds