Re: tagging thread followups/keeping interesting mails uncollapsed

2004-01-09T08:46:31 Mads Laursen:
> 1) Is there an easier way than my hack? Searching the manual, the list
>    and google turned up nothing solid. Am I really the first one to
>    want this?

I don't know, but I think it's possible that at lest some of us have
come up with email handling practices that dodge some of the need
for this kind of thing. Not that they would necessarily solve your
case, but....

The way I speed my email handling is by a chain of tools and scripts
that automate various mail filing.

I use Maildirs, this makes some kinds of operations easier to
script.

procmail files list traffic into list-specific folders, all of which
are listed (after "!", ~/Maildir/, my individual inbox) in mutt's
"mailboxes" list.

I've got a little script, which I run fairly frequently, that moves
messages that I've read (no longer "new") to an archive directory,
that's an ever-growing mirror of my inbox collection. I use set
nomark_old, so messages remain "new" (in Maildir's new/ subdir)
until I've actually opened them, or marked them read with "N".

Somewhat less frequently, but still at least daily, I index the
archive directory with swish++, so I can use a mailsearch script to
quickly find messages no matter how big my archives get.

With these tricks, I find less need for collapsing threads. I really
am not fond of mutt's thread collapsing, because it behaves like
"limit"-ing to only the thread heads; this means things like
searches and limit views don't see the followups.

I'm a long way from being an expert on all of mutt's features, and
I've not updated to the newest and bluest, I'm still running 1.4.1.

-Bennett