tagging thread followups/keeping interesting mails uncollapsed

Hello,

I use mutt for (among much else ;-)) reading our support list at work,
and since I like mutts threading and the overview that commes from
collapsed threads, I've been using push "<collapse-all>" in a
folder-hook.

Since I had to remember a specific mail, I flagged it, and then I
changed my folder-hook to:
  push "<tag-pattern>(~F
!~N)<enter><tag-prefix><set-flag>N<collapse-all><tag-prefix><clear-flag>N<untag-pattern>~T<enter>"

This makes the flagged messages behave like new mails, which are kept
uncollapsed. But I've got two questions:

1) Is there an easier way than my hack? Searching the manual, the list
   and google turned up nothing solid. Am I really the first one to
   want this?

2) Is there a way to tag messages without a followup. This way I could
   select the last mail in each thread, exclude those that are from me
   or other members of our staff, and be left with the unanswered
   mails from users, which I would like to uncollapse like I do for
   flagged messages. Note that it will not work to just tag messages
   without reply since many of the answers come from the other
   staffers and therefore have no 'replied to' flag in my mailbox.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone likes/dislikes my
uncollapse hack feel free to comment.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
                -- Albert Einstein