smime application/x-pkcs7 v. application/pkcs7

Hello.

I set up an X.509 certificate for use with mail.app in OS X and I want
to be able to use it with mutt also.

from mutt, I can already sign and encrypt mail with no problems, and if
I receive a message sent from mutt which has been signed and/or
encrypted with mutt both mutt and mail.app handle it just fine.

the problem is when someone sends me a message from OS X's mail.app.

apple seems to use a mime type of application/pkcs7-signature rather
than application/x-pkcs7-signature for the signature, and a mime type of
application/pkcs7-mime for encrypted messages.

so openssl spits out something like

Verification failure
840:error:21075071:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:wrong content
+type:pk7_smime.c:166:

I can use procmail to hack the message headers somewhat, but for
encrypted and signed messages there is a header inside the encryption
that procmail can't see, so I can get it to decrypt but not verify the
message.

Is there any easy way to get mutt to recognize application/pkcs7-mime
and application/pkcs7-signature??

thanks.