Re: xemacs, color, mail headers....

>         If I understood your problem correctly, it's just that xemacs'
> default colours don't work well in console ("-nw"). Most of them simply
> can't be displayed. I remapped many of my colours, with "M-x
> customize-groups RET faces RET". Here's what I have:
>
> (custom-set-faces
.... snip

>         You could try copying this to your ~/.xemacs/custom.el (carefull not
> to override anything already defined there that you want kept).

Thanks Rodrigo, I think that I haven't quite communicated the
problem.  I've tried customizing the fonts and have had some limited
success.  The problem isn't simply that the default fonts are a bad
match, but that the best parts of the color schemes -- namely,
highlighting of comments/functions/variables in programming modes, or
of headers/quited/text/email addresses in
mail-mode/post-mode/mutt-mode, just doesn't seem to work.  I should
say that your color scheme, which I'm using right now, also doesn't
seem to work quiteright for me -- for instance, while I get white text
on a black background, marked text is not highlighted in any way.

I don't really know what's going on here; again, not that I know
anything, but this seems like rather odd behaviour.

> > xemacs knows it's in a color terminal, and can display colors, for
> > instance, when I use the M-x customize functions to create the file at
> > http://www.derailleur.org/xemacs/custom.el .  But many of my favorite
> > functions are missing -- for instance, syntax highlighting *anywhere*.
>
>         What do you mean by that?

Hopefully I've clarified that obscure statement -- I mean to say that
I can't get syntax highlighting to work in any of the modes I'm
familiar with (e.g., shell-mode, lisp-mode).  I just say that 'cause
my first thought was that there was some problem with post-mode or
mail-mode, but that seems wrong to me now.

anyhow, thanks again,

matt