Re: OT: learning curve

Jack, et al --

...and then Jack Bertram said...
%
% * Andrew Sayers <andrew-list-mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [031103 14:24]:
%
% Whether or not there is an official psychological definition, two points
% apply here:
%
% - Firstly, and to your point, given that everyone "knows" that a steep
%   learning curve is a hard one, people won't know what you're talking
%   about if you refer to a shallow learning curve

So?  "Everyone" "knows" that Outhouse is a mail program, but not many
here (and definitely not I :-) are content to go that route or even let
the assumption stand.

%
% - Secondly, the reason people talk about a learning curve in the first
%   place is because they view it in two other dimensions: progress and

Not necessarily.  Not at all indeed.  Not I, for instance.  I visualize
the learning curve as the path from "not knowing" (low) to "knowing"
(high), and climbing that height in less time (left to right) is good;
the steeper the better.  The curve is an indication of both how much
effort is going in and how capable one is.

%   effort. A hill is a one-dimensional reduction of these two dimensions,
%   where moving the same distance (as the crow files) takes more effort

Well, that's one way to look at a hill.

%   when the hill is steep.  In the everyday context, the psychological
%   definition is so much irrelevance.

So is this thread, but we're here anyway.

%
% j

HAND

:-D