Re: [OT] ncursesw and UTF-8

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 06:42:57PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> probably.  I see some occasional comments to the effect that there are
> patches to make bash work properly with UTF-8, which implies that it
> does not.

bash most certainly does NOT work well with UTF.  Here's my .inputrc,
along with a comment at the end venting some of my frustration:

$ cat ~/.inputrc
set editing-mode vi
#This is because editing-mode vi puts us in input mode by default:
set keymap vi-command
#This prints ls -F output in autocomplete candidates:
set visible-stats on

#Here's some stuff for internationalization:
set meta-flag on #conservar bit 8 en entrada de teclado
set output-meta on #conservar bit 8 en salida por terminal
set convert-meta off #no convertir secuencias de escape
#export LC_CTYPE=ISO_8859_1
#For some reason, when I type international characters, they still appear like
# weird backslashed numbers, but at least readline doesn't reject them, and they
# look like what they're supposed to when they come out the other end ;-)

...so yes, it works, but no, it ain't pretty :-(

 - Dave

BTW - Does Mutt work out of the box with ncursesw?  All the weird
allignment issues are magnified several times in my setup, since as I
noted in another recent mailing I run a UTF Screen inside a UTF Screen
inside a UTF Screen inside a UTF console (making three layers of ncurses +
the ncurses of Mutt), so by the time a line gets from Mutt to my monitor
it's usually in pretty bad shape.

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel