Re: 1.4.1i, source where is it?

Hi, David,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:59:15AM -0500, David Fishburn wrote:
> > he is talking about the fact that when you replied to his
> > email, his name showed up as Ren? (and not an 'e' with accent
> > mark).  i had this problem myself, here are some things to check out:
> > in mutt-
> > :set ?charset
> > :set ?send_charset
> > how are you accessing mutt, and what is your TERM (#set |
> > grep TERM)?  here is a thread that was pointed out to me by
> > Alain Bench that might help as
> > well: http://bugs.guug.de/db/16/1660.html
> Hmm, I have the same problem.
> Rene's name is displayed as RenA@ (close enough).
>
> I read the above:
>     My advice: First use the en_*.ISO-8859-1 of your country of origin.
> Then, later, if you notice some problem you can build a new one. Anyway
> for our today problem any *.ISO-8859-1, even implicit, will do.
>
> I am in Canada running on Linux RH9
> > :set ?charset
> charset="utf-8"
> > :set ?send_charset
> send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"
> $ env |grep TERM
> TERM=xterm
> Charsets and locales confuse the hell out of me.
> Can you suggest what would fix this.

Well.. the A@-ish thing looks like an incorrectly interpreted UTF-8
character (as far as I know, non-ASCII characters are all at least 2
bytes in UTF-8.)  Is your xterm set up to use UTF-8?  Try 'xterm -u8'
and see what happens.  Setting the resource 'XTerm*utf8: 1' might also
be a good idea.

I found that using UTF-8 in my xterm still caused me problems with
wide characters.  That is, certain alignments were thrown off in
tabular displays (I think mutt using ncurses did this,) and line
editing acted weird when I tried to backspace over wide characters.

So, my solution was to switch to LC_CTYPE="en_US" where en_US is made
to use ISO-8859-1 in my /etc/locale.gen.  This lets me see and type
René's name properly, while still using just 8 bits per character.
As far as I know, unless you explicitly set charset, it should take
its value from the locale.

Of course, YMMV..  Especially if you need to see Cyrillic and Latin-1
at the same time, or Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, etc. etc. etc.

Guten tag,
 Allister

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx>