RE: 1.4.1i, source where is it?

> he is talking about the fact that when you replied to his
> email, his name showed up as Ren? (and not an 'e' with accent
> mark).  i had this problem myself, here are some things to check out:
>
> in mutt-
> :set ?charset
> :set ?send_charset
>
> how are you accessing mutt, and what is your TERM (#set |
> grep TERM)?  here is a thread that was pointed out to me by
> Alain Bench that might help as
> well: http://bugs.guug.de/db/16/1660.html

Hmm, I have the same problem.
Rene's name is displayed as RenA@ (close enough).

I read the above:
    My advice: First use the en_*.ISO-8859-1 of your country of origin.
Then, later, if you notice some problem you can build a new one. Anyway
for our today problem any *.ISO-8859-1, even implicit, will do.

I am in Canada running on Linux RH9
> :set ?charset
charset="utf-8"

> :set ?send_charset
send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"

$ env |grep TERM
TERM=xterm

Charsets and locales confuse the hell out of me.
Can you suggest what would fix this.

Thanks,
Dave