Re: Advanced alternates regexp

David, et al -

...and then David Rock said...
%
% * David T-G <davidtg-muttusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003-09-04 08:23]:
% >
% > others, so my alternates isn't *too* messy, but what you (and I) want is
% > not currently possible in mutt.  [Probably only the second or third thing
% > ever found that isn't, too ;-]
%
% The problem is that alternates is a regex, not a patern, so "!" doesn't

Yep.

% make any sense to it. What you need is a negation character within the
% regex itself. Unfortunately, I can't think of one. The closest thing I
% can think of right now is the single character negation:
%       ^[^abc].*@domain.com
% matches stuff that does NOT start with a or b or c:
%       astuff@xxxxxxxxxx
%       bstuff@xxxxxxxxxx
%       cstuff@xxxxxxxxxx
%       etc...

Well, extended regexps will let you search for

  this.and.(that|theother)

and I'd love to see something equivalent for negation.

%
% I don't think alternation would work with this. If anyone knows of a
% negation character for groups, that would do the trick. Otherwise you
% will need to do some messy [^] combinations to do it.

No, it would be *very* messy :-/

%
% --
% David Rock