Re: [Mutt] #3460: view-attachments menu "view-attach" command uses auto_view for all text attachments, even when a suitable interactive command is in the mailcap file. This is particularly bad for text/html attachments.

#3460: view-attachments menu "view-attach" command uses auto_view for all text
attachments, even when a suitable interactive command is in the mailcap
file.  This is particularly bad for text/html attachments.
------------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  ajschorr                                  |       Owner:  mutt-dev
     Type:  defect                                    |      Status:  new

Comment(by ajschorr):

 Is it possible to have a compromise solution where the user can configure
 it to his liking?  I considered binding "view-mailcap" to the <Enter> key
 instead of "view-attach", but I don't think it is suitable (since it fails
 in some cases instead of falling back to text display).  If there were a
 hybrid "view-mailcap-fallback" command that tries "view-mailcap" and falls
 back to "view-attach" if "view-mailcap" does not succeed, that would give
 the desired behavior for some portion of the user community.  Then again,
 I think this is essentially what the old code did.  Just so this is clear,
 I simply want to use w3m, not a heavyweight browser.  IMHO, giving users
 the power to configure their desired behavior is a Good Thing.  Isn't that
 why most of us use mutt in the first place?

 I suspect it would be pretty easy to add such a command.  If I make the
 effort to build a patch, is there a chance it would be accepted?

 Regards,
 Andy

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3460#comment:5>