Re: Checking envelope-to header for reverse_name ?

Hi,

* Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, June 11 at 11:44 PM, quoth Heinrich Langos:

> >When exactly are "References:" headers added? Sorry to digres but I
> >am curious if my solution of deleting the "In-Reply-To:" header is
> >sufficient.

It is. References are generated if and only if you leave the In-Reply-To
header as-is during editing. When removing it and when changing it
(either change the message-id, add one, replace them, etc.) mutt doesn't
generate a References header as it doesn't know the parent message.

When In-Reply-To contains more than one message-id, it will never
generate References as the standard explicitely leaves semantics for
that case out.

> According to the FAQ (I didn't know this), mutt generates the
> References header based on the In-Reply-To header, so deleting that
> header should be sufficient. Personally, though, I think it's better
> to simply get out of the habit of using "reply" as a way of starting
> a new message.

Before editing the message, mutt knows the original message(s) and can
generate a References: header. In-Reply-To is only used as it's more
user-friendly for editing. Generating References: from In-Reply-To:
would mean to lookup the parent message by message-id in the mailbox
first -- mutt doesn't do that.

Rocco