Re: regression: attaching files from command line fails

Derek Martin wrote:  [Tue Oct 28 2008, 03:20:02PM EDT]
> I think, and have always thought, that this is a Bad Thing(tm),
> making parsing Mutt's command line needlessly complicated.  It
> seems much more sensible to me that Mutt's command line should
> only allow one type of object to be listed without explicit
> command-line options, i.e. recipients.  I think it should be
> mandatory that each attachment one wants to attach should be
> specified after its own -a option.  I think that allowing two
> different behaviors for this is confusing, and allowing the
> same behavior for two different types of command-line objects
> is confusing, and allowing both simultaneously is even more
> confusing, both to the user and the programmer.  Finally,
> I think that the fact that this is still a problem, and that
> smart people such as Tamo are having difficulty to provide
> a suitable solution, is evidence enough in support of my point.
> :)

Yeah, I think the same thing.  The changes I made most recently
tried to preserve some backward compatibility while making the
behavior consistent between platforms.  I don't know if
preserving that backward compatibility was really the best
choice.

I think the point of the current behavior is to be able to do
things like this:

    mutt -a *.jpg -- foo@xxxxxxx

which is relatively difficult to do on the command-line with
individual -a options.  Hacks like this come to mind:

    eval "mutt $(printf '-a %q' *.jpg) foo@xxxxxxx"

An alternative would be to add an attach-glob option to mutt,
which mutt would then expand internally, for example:

    mutt -g \*.jpg foo@xxxxxxx

More ideas?  Dissenting opinions?

Aron