Re: regression: attaching files from command line fails

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 01:47:33PM +0900, TAKAHASHI Tamotsu wrote:
> * Thu Oct 23 2008 Aron Griffis <agriffis@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Aron Griffis wrote:  [Thu Oct 23 2008, 10:07:02AM EDT]
> > > What OS is this?  There are some patches recently in mutt that
> > > affect cmdline processing, but your example works for me.
> >
> > My mistake, your example doesn't work for me.  The reason is that
> > -a accepts multiple attachments, so you need to specify -- before
> > addresses:
> >
> >     mutt -a file -- addr </dev/null

I think, and have always thought, that this is a Bad Thing(tm), making
parsing Mutt's command line needlessly complicated.  It seems much
more sensible to me that Mutt's command line should only allow one
type of object to be listed without explicit command-line options,
i.e. recipients.  I think it should be mandatory that each attachment
one wants to attach should be specified after its own -a option.  I
think that allowing two different behaviors for this is confusing, and
allowing the same behavior for two different types of command-line
objects is confusing, and allowing both simultaneously is even more
confusing, both to the user and the programmer.  Finally, I think that
the fact that this is still a problem, and that smart people such as
Tamo are having difficulty to provide a suitable solution, is evidence
enough in support of my point. :)

Just my $.00002...

-=-=-=-=-