Re: Mutt and Ubuntu

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:20:43PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:05:10PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > I see exactly the same on Interix.  It is caused by
> >   set charset="utf-8"
> > which is a mismatch with the current locale (POSIX).
> >
> > I guess the same holds for you, and is not really an ncurses/mutt issue
> > in that case.
>
> No, that's definitely not it.  My locale is in fact UTF-8 and works
> fine (the native package would be broken the same way if it weren't).

FWIW I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 "hardy heron" (current stable) and I got
my mutt by using dget(1) to pull the Intrepid (current devel) .dsc,
orig.tar.gz, and diff.gz from here:

  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutt

and then using pbuilder(8) to build the package for hardy. I end up
with three packages to install:

/var/cache/pbuilder/result$ ls -1|grep mutt.*ubuntu.*deb
mutt_1.5.18-4ubuntu1_i386.deb
mutt-dbg_1.5.18-4ubuntu1_i386.deb
mutt-patched_1.5.18-4ubuntu1_i386.deb

I don't see the problems you describe and I get the following:

~$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.5.18 (2008-05-17)
Copyright (C) 1996-2008 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic (i686)
ncurses: ncurses 5.6.20071124 (compiled with 5.6)
[...]

pbuilder is really a fantastic tool. If you like Debian/Ubuntu and
plan to continue using it/them seriously, I highly recommend you take
a little time to familiarize yourself with pbuilder. Here's a good
intro:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto

Cheers,
--