Re: [Mutt] #2014: mutt quote/dequote headers too many times

#2014: mutt quote/dequote headers too many times

Comment (by TAKAHASHI Tamotsu):

 {{{
 * Sat Jul  5 2008 Mutt <fleas@xxxxxxxx>
 > #2014: mutt quote/dequote headers too many times
 >
 > Comment (by vinc17):
 >
 >  The problem with this patch is that it sometimes removes useful quotes,
 >  e.g. in
 >
 >    To: "foo <foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bar" <bar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 >
 >  which is displayed as:
 >
 >    To: foo <foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bar <bar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Well, I don't think this is my fault. ;)

 In short, this problem is caused by the fact that mutt uses
 the same decoration (color, italic, bold, or anything) for
 both display names and addresses.

 (Your "foo <foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bar" is a display name.
 And <bar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> is an address. Most of GUI MUAs
 such as gmail use bigger/bolder fonts for display names.)

 If you prefer having double-quotes around _every_ display
 name, you are against mutt's behavior rather than my patch.
 (The following comment in rfc822.c was not written by me:
 >>      /* if we get something like "Michael R. Elkins"
 >>         remove the quotes */
 Hmm, whose is this? :)

 If you just want to include double-quotes in your display
 name, use a backslash before every double-quote. (See RFC
 2822 and you'll find an example like "Giant; \"Big\" Box")

 Anyway, I am not a heavy user of mutt these days.
 So I've forgotten the detail of the patch.
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2014#comment:>