Re: [Mutt] #3090: Mutt removes In-Reply-To header field

#3090: Mutt removes In-Reply-To header field

Comment (by vinc17):

 Replying to [comment:4 pdmef]:
 > IIRC In-Reply-To isn't supposed to contain only exactly some message-id
 but may also contain things like "message <message-id> sent by <user> on
 ...". That's why mutt needs a heuristic of exactly one @ symbol to locate
 the message-id. However, I don't know if clients really/still generate
 something like that and how common it is in mail archives.

 There are MUA's that still do such kind of things, and I still receive
 messages with:

 AFAIK, that's Emacs that does this. Gnus also does this, with a slightly
 different format.

 Also, Mutt sometimes puts several message-id's in In-Reply-To (I think,
 when one replies to several messages at once).

 > A fix could be to avoid writing out In-Reply-To and use References
 instead which still gives the user the chance to manually adjust threads
 in the editor.

 That's a bad idea: some MUA's only understand the In-Reply-To header (but
 this is quite old, and I don't remember which ones -- perhaps Emacs, at
 least I can see that it doesn't generate a References header).

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3090#comment:5>