Re: [Mutt] #3067: PGP/MIME signatures incorrectly assigned

#3067: PGP/MIME signatures incorrectly assigned "Content-Disposition: inline"

Comment (by Thomas Roessler):

 {{{
 On 2008-06-12 14:51:18 -0000, Mutt wrote:

 >  While I think it may mean something that the RFC author set the
 >  disposition this way, I'm still not sure I think it's the correct
 >  approach.

 >  The PGP/MIME signature is *supposed* to be an attachment, which
 >  is in the RFC.  It therefore seems that setting the disposition
 >  to be "inline", and therefore suggesting that MUAs display the
 >  signature inline, just doesn't make sense, at least not to me.

 The PGP/MIME spec is silent on whether or not Content-Disposition
 should be sent, or to what value.

 The notion that the PGP/MIME signature is "supposed to be an
 attachment", and that that somehow influences the choice of value
 for Content-Disposition is bogus: The signature is yet another body
 part (commonly called "attachment"), but that doesn't mean that
 handling that part as an "attachment" in the sense of the
 Content-Disposition header is somehow more or less reasonable.

 My suspicion is that we added the current code to mutt as a hack to
 make things work better with some other mailer -- maybe it was about
 keeping Eudora from cluttering attachment directories, maybe it was
 about something else.  I don't remember.

 >  I think either the suggestion to make it a config-controllable
 >  option, or removing the Content-Disposition header entirely are
 >  better than leaving the disposition hard coded in.

 A config-controlled option for this would be ridiculous, sorry.

 Cheers,
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3067#comment:>