Re: About charset hook and external program reference that varible

Hello Gary, hello Qian,

 On Tuesday, January 8, 2008 at 21:21:54 -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2008-01-09, Bendany Qian <logismall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>| charset-hook gb2312 gbk
>> when mailcap reference the %{charset} variable, gb2312 is returned
>> instead of gbk.
> I also thought at first that it was a bug.

    The word "bug" may be too much. After all, mailcap's %{blah}
expansion is intended to return the value of the Content-Type parameter
named "blah", and it does this job correctly. Nothing specific to the
charset parameter. Applying charset-hooks to %{charset} would be a
special case.

> I haven't thought of a real scenario in which a user would specify a
> charset-hook to change charset A to charset B, then want to use
> charset A instead of B in the mailcap file.

    Me neither. In all practical cases I encountred, one needed the same
charset name in normal plain text viewer and in mailcap viewers.
I always ended having to duplicate the effect of charset-hooks in a
wrapper script called from mailcap.

    I believe that charset-hooking %{charset} could be a good
enhancement, a simplification for users, and something they intuitively
can expect. With an on/off variable? No: I think always on should
suffice.

Bye!    Alain.
--
How to Report Bugs Effectively