Re: [Mutt] #2990: mutt-1.5.16: utf-8 support broken somewhere

#2990: mutt-1.5.16: utf-8 support broken somewhere between 1.5.13 and 1.5.16

Comment (by Rocco Rutte):

 {{{
 Hi,

 * Mutt wrote:

 >>  Second, what exactly doesn't work and what are the symptoms?

 > If receiving mail containing utf-8 encoded German umlauts (but
 > presumably this applies at least to all iso-latin-1 letters) in either
 > header or body everything looks as expected up to 1.5.14 (i.e. I see
 > the actual umlauts), e.g.:

 >   26   + Oct 16 service@kartonf (5.8K) Kartonfritze.de -
 Bestellbestätigung

 > while starting from 1.5.15 I see

 >   26   + Oct 16 service@kartonf (5.8K) Kartonfritze.de -
 Bestellbestätigung

 > (i.e. the raw utf-8).  This is true for both header and message.

 Can you please give the following information: the output of 'locale'
 and the raw subject header of the message as well as the Content-Type:
 header.

 The only thing in the charset area which changed in 1.5.15 and later is
 that assumed_charset was added, so maybe the message has raw utf8 data
 not being properly declared. Does that happen for all messages in utf8
 or just a few?

 What type of folder is that message in? It could also be related to
 header caching if the folder has a cache already. I doubt it but wiping
 the cache and trying again helps if the encoding of the terminal
 changes.

 >>  Also, you might want to check the file UPDATING in the source dir or
 >>  located at http://dev.mutt.org/hg/mutt/raw-file/tip/UPDATING to check
 for
 >>  user-visible (and maybe incompatible) changes. (Your alternates
 setting
 >>  suggests that)

 > That's in there to keep some 1.4.x mutts happy.

 Ah, I only saw 'set alternates=...'. Still, the UPDATING file should be
 read carefully before every udpate...

 Rocco
 }}}

--