Re: [Mutt] #2990: mutt-1.5.16: utf-8 support broken somewhere

#2990: mutt-1.5.16: utf-8 support broken somewhere between 1.5.13 and 1.5.16

Comment (by Sven Utcke):

 {{{
 Hello Mutt,

 >  >>  Second, what exactly doesn't work and what are the symptoms?
 >
 >  > If receiving mail containing utf-8 encoded German umlauts (but
 >  > presumably this applies at least to all iso-latin-1 letters) in
 either
 >  > header or body everything looks as expected up to 1.5.14 (i.e. I see
 >  > the actual umlauts), e.g.:
 >
 >  >   26   + Oct 16 service@kartonf (5.8K) Kartonfritze.de -
 >  Bestellbestätigung
 >
 >  > while starting from 1.5.15 I see
 >
 >  >   26   + Oct 16 service@kartonf (5.8K) Kartonfritze.de -
 >  Bestellbestätigung
 >
 >  > (i.e. the raw utf-8).  This is true for both header and message.
 >
 >  Can you please give the following information: the output of
 >  'locale'

 On the currently used computer I get

 has6121h>/.../utcke% locale
 LANG=en_US
 LC_CTYPE="en_US"
 LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
 LC_TIME="en_US"
 LC_COLLATE="en_US"
 LC_MONETARY="en_US"
 LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
 LC_PAPER="en_US"
 LC_NAME="en_US"
 LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
 LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
 LC_ALL=

 >  and the raw subject header of the message as well as the Content-Type:
 >  header.

 Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Kartonfritze.de_-_Bestellbest=C3=A4ti?=
         =?utf-8?Q?gung_=28B.Nr.951-34261=29?=

 Looks fine to me.

 >  The only thing in the charset area which changed in 1.5.15 and later is
 >  that assumed_charset was added, so maybe the message has raw utf8 data
 >  not being properly declared.

 Doesn't look that way, or does it?

 > Does that happen for all messages in utf8 or just a few?

 Hard to know, but I would say all.

 >  What type of folder is that message in?

 IMAP (kept in maildir), but the same happens for a local mbox

 >  It could also be related to header caching if the folder has a
 >  cache already. I doubt it but wiping the cache and trying again
 >  helps if the encoding of the terminal changes.

 Nope, no dice.

 >  >>  Also, you might want to check the file UPDATING in the source
 >  >>  dir or located at
 >  >>  http://dev.mutt.org/hg/mutt/raw-file/tip/UPDATING to check for
 >  >>  user-visible (and maybe incompatible) changes. (Your alternates
 >  >>  setting suggests that)
 >
 >  > That's in there to keep some 1.4.x mutts happy.
 >
 >  Ah, I only saw 'set alternates=...'. Still, the UPDATING file should be
 >  read carefully before every udpate...

 I didn't see anything in there which could be relevant.

 What might be relevant though: depending on how I compile I might,
 beginning with 1.5.15, see lot's of

 Error in /afs/desy.de/user/u/utcke/.mutt/aliases, line 346: Warning: Bad
 IDN 'aol.com' in alias 'poqet8_2'.

 on starting, which, I believe, might also be an encoding problem...

 Sven
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2990#comment:>