Re: [Mutt] #2990: mutt-1.5.16: utf-8 support broken somewhere

Hi,

* Mutt wrote:

 Second, what exactly doesn't work and what are the symptoms?

If receiving mail containing utf-8 encoded German umlauts (but
presumably this applies at least to all iso-latin-1 letters) in either
header or body everything looks as expected up to 1.5.14 (i.e. I see
the actual umlauts), e.g.:

  26   + Oct 16 service@kartonf (5.8K) Kartonfritze.de - Bestellbestätigung

while starting from 1.5.15 I see

  26   + Oct 16 service@kartonf (5.8K) Kartonfritze.de - Bestellbestätigung

(i.e. the raw utf-8).  This is true for both header and message.

Can you please give the following information: the output of 'locale' and the raw subject header of the message as well as the Content-Type: header.

The only thing in the charset area which changed in 1.5.15 and later is that assumed_charset was added, so maybe the message has raw utf8 data not being properly declared. Does that happen for all messages in utf8 or just a few?

What type of folder is that message in? It could also be related to header caching if the folder has a cache already. I doubt it but wiping the cache and trying again helps if the encoding of the terminal changes.

 Also, you might want to check the file UPDATING in the source dir or
 located at http://dev.mutt.org/hg/mutt/raw-file/tip/UPDATING to check for
 user-visible (and maybe incompatible) changes. (Your alternates setting
 suggests that)

That's in there to keep some 1.4.x mutts happy.

Ah, I only saw 'set alternates=...'. Still, the UPDATING file should be read carefully before every udpate...

Rocco