Re: white-on-black or black-on-white?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 08:31:17AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Ian Collier <Ian.Collier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [09-11-07 06:29]:
> > I'm using mutt-1.5.14-4 as seen on Fedora 7, compiled with ncurses 5.6,
> > in an xterm (X.Org 6.8.99.903(227)) with default colours (i.e. in normal
> > operation the xterm displays black text on a white background).

> 'default" is rather muddied here, you *do* have an /etc/[Mm]uttrc

Sorry if it wasn't clear - I was talking about the defaults for xterm
(in the absence of mutt) in the above sentence.

> > "mutt -n -F /dev/null"

> Now you have "normal", ie: no rc file influence.

That's the idea, yes.

> > Type ":color normal green black" and now it's green on black.  All
> > fine so far.

> BUT, "normal green black" per the fine manual attaches the meaning of
> "normal" to the "object defined (type of information)"

Here, "normal" is a technical term which means "any text not covered by
the other color definitions".  I'm well aware of what the command does,
but it's not strictly relevant to the colour-switching behaviour.

> > It also turns out that specifying "default" for any one colour switches
> > the whole of mutt from the default white-on-black into black-on-white,
> > except where colour settings have been specified.  I find that a bit
> > weird.

> hopefully explained  :^)

Sorry, I must have missed it. :-(

imc