Re: white-on-black or black-on-white?

* Ian Collier <Ian.Collier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [09-11-07 06:29]:
> OK, this is a weird one, and not terribly important although it did
> make me go "huh?" for a couple of days.  I'm curious as to whether
> this is a bug and what causes it.

no

> It surely can't be intentional?

I think it is.

> I'm using mutt-1.5.14-4 as seen on Fedora 7, compiled with ncurses 5.6,
> in an xterm (X.Org 6.8.99.903(227)) with default colours (i.e. in normal
> operation the xterm displays black text on a white background).

'default" is rather muddied here, you *do* have an /etc/[Mm]uttrc or a
~/.[Mm]uttrc, which changes "default" if you consider that *rc as
"default".  Remove the "color definitions" from the rc file and you
will have "white on black".

> "mutt -n -F /dev/null" comes up in white on a black background.  Display
> an email that doesn't completely fill the screen, and it's still white
> on black.

Now you have "normal", ie: no rc file influence.

> Type ":color normal green black" and now it's green on black.  All
> fine so far.

BUT, "normal green black" per the fine manual attaches the meaning of
"normal" to the "object defined (type of information)"

 [...]

> It also turns out that specifying "default" for any one colour switches
> the whole of mutt from the default white-on-black into black-on-white,
> except where colour settings have been specified.  I find that a bit
> weird.

hopefully explained  :^)