Re: UI enhancements

Hi,

* Brendan Cully [07-09-04 11:37:26 -0700] wrote:
On Monday, 03 September 2007 at 08:44, Rocco Rutte wrote:
* Marco d'Itri [07-09-01 11:58:56 +0200] wrote:

I believe that a window in the middle of the screen really looks out of
place. Dynamically widening the status bar would be much more elegant
and consistent with the mutt UI.

I strongly agree with this too. In hindsight, the emacs technique of
growing the input line as necessary seems like the obvious way to go.

Please forgive me that I'm a poor vim user :), I have no idea what it looks and feels like to have this feature. Google doesn't help me much here.

As said, for consistency either all prompts are down at the bottom or all centered via dialogs, IMHO.

I've been watching my computer usage a little over the last days. And at least for me it's not that import whether input is done via dialogs or not. The point is that it has be consistent within one program, no matter if other programs do it totally differently or not.

The problem is that it's really hard to get it implemented with translators in mind. Given some structured input to mutt_multi_choice(), how do you decide which characters can be ommitted per locale and which can't?

E.g. the sorting choice now contains 'frm' for 'from' or 'sender'. You can't assume that for all languages it makes sense to remove vowels, not to speak of lanuages with non-latin letters.

I don't follow this argument. If the input line grows to fit the
input, what needs to be abbreviated?

Nothing. I was writing about shortening the "full text" of the prompt to fit the current width dynamically... which is not necessary if the input line can grow.

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!