Re: [Mutt] #2874: broken flowed text quoting

#2874: broken flowed text quoting

Comment (by brendan):

 On Tuesday, 10 April 2007 at 09:51, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
 > Sorry, writing to the list since trac claims to have sent me a
 > password but apparently hasn't yet...

 You can also reply to bugs by email, by the way. Just make sure the
 subject includes #bugnumber (in this case, "#2874"). It should even
 pick up attachments. You will be TMDA-challenged the first time
 though.

 (''egg on my face'' -- I should double check the regular expression it
 uses. Replying to bugs works.)

 > This bug happens for anyone without text_flowed set.  In that case
 > s->prefix is set to "> " and then another space is added in
 > print_flowed_line.  Before, there were complaints about getting ">foo"
 > for f-f; now we get ">  foo" (two spaces).
 >
 > print_indent is applying s->prefix (i.e. Prefix, indent_string) for the
 > outermost level of quoting, i.e. the one added by "reply".  Then it's
 > applying a literal '>' for each level of quoting in what you're
 > replying to.  Then it's adding a literal space.  This seems very
 > confused to me.  Maybe it should apply s->prefix each time?

 I ''think'' (Rocco is the expert here) the rationale for this is to
 preserve the flowability of the quoted text if possible. Even if the
 text itself isn't marked as flowed (`OPTTEXTFLOWED` is unset), later
 replies that are flowed may rescue the quoted text. I'd be tempted to
 try even harder at this: if the line is a flowed line, ignore
 `s->prefix` and just use `>`. But if we aren't motivated to preserve
 flowability, repeating `s->prefix` makes sense to me.

 > Meanwhile, I'm using this.  I imagine it will still lead to funny
 > quoting, like "> >>> foo", but at least it's better than nothing.

 It's probably better to just make the space stuffing in
 `print_flowed_line` conditional on `OPTTEXTFLOWED` (or `s->prefix`).

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2874#comment:4>