Re: change-folder bug with mailboxes & spaces

On Monday, April  9 at 03:54 PM, quoth Brendan Cully:
sorry, looks like I broke that bit recently. I think I've fixed it, if you wouldn't mind trying to recreate your account.

Cool, that did the trick.

I think the solution to this is to make mutt a bit more state-full, and only switch to the next "mailbox" if I haven't actually typed anything yet.

This might be ok, but I don't know how many people want the existing behaviour. We used to have a quote-next-char key (was it ^V?) for this situation. I can't figure out what happened to it.

It probably was ^V (which in my quick test doesn't appear to work anymore), but in my personal opinion, that's a sub-optimal solution, even if it did work. A mutt user is far more likely to have a space in a folder name than he is to have read the documentation to discover the correct hoops he has to jump through in order to actually open that folder. When you're staring at the change-folder prompt and wondering why it just deleted everything you typed in, it isn't immediately obvious that the reason it did so is because "space" means something special. And even when you do realize that, seeing how much you typed in already, the first response is generally "well that's moronic, I *obviously* didn't want it to treat that as a command".

As an example, imagine if by default, vim mapped "space" to do something (like kill the line) in insert-mode; a.la:

    imap <space> <Esc>v^xi

That would be considered idiotic user design, nevermind the fact that you can use ^V to work around it.

Now, there's not an easy way to say "I mean the next keypress as a command", but a simple heuristic (such as "have you typed other things in yet?") seems to make the most sense.

~Kyle
--
I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.
                                                      -- Steven Wright