Re: Brendan Cully taking the lead.

On Thursday, 22 February 2007 at 09:11, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Brendan is taking the lead for releasing things and deciding what
> gets into the repository.  I understand he has some plans, including
> moving the master repository from cvs to mercurial.

Indeed. I think it offers a number of advantages. Among them:
. It makes it much easier to do development outside the main tree
  (simply clone and you have full power to commit to your own tree)
. Atomic commits, renames, etc that any modern VCS should have.
. Much easier merging. Right now the stable branch basically gets
  abandoned shortly after the dev is opened. Hg makes it much easier
  to keep stable open and bring changes from it into dev.
. GPG-signed tags in the repository itself.

I am probably biased, since I do a fair amount of hg hacking, but it
is certainly an improvement over CVS.

> I'm out of the critical path, but will stick around.
>
> To sign future releases, Brendan will likely use the PGP key
> 0x35853032.  I signed that key after we last happened to be in the
> sam town, so you should be able to follow the link from the key that
> I used to sign releases to his one in the Web Of Trust.
>
> Thanks to Brendan for taking over, and thanks to all of you for
> making mutt the mailer that I still prefer to use! ;-)

Thanks Thomas!

Let's open up a 1.6 thread :)