Re: Add search tuning section to manual

On Monday, 20 November 2006 at 13:04, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Monday, November 20 at 09:58 AM, quoth Brendan Cully:
> >(also, simple string searches are a huge performance win on IMAP,
> >because they get done by the server. But I suppose I should probably
> >add that text myself...)
>
> I was wondering about that, actually. If I search with ~b instead of
> =b, will mutt use the local message cache (i.e. would it be a win if I
> have all the messages cached)? Might it be useful to have mutt use the
> local mcache for those things it does have cached, and the server for
> the rest?

Yes, ~b will use the local cache, and be reasonably fast if you've got
your mailbox precached (it's not a bad way to force mutt to cache your
entire mailbox, actually). But in general, there's no particular
reason to expect local searches to be faster than server-side searches
- they both have to do more or less the same amount of work, and the
time needed to communicate the request/response is comparatively
tiny. Also, since servers expect to do searches, they often maintain
databases to speed them up, which makes them often much _faster_ than
local searches. I've definitely found that to be the case doing =b on
large Cyrus-served folders.