Re: patch-1.5.13.tlr.wrap_headers.1

Hello Thomas,

 On Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 22:16:52 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> the attached patch teaches mutt a bit about being nice with writing
> headers (such as subject)

    Thank you, here are some comments:

 -1) It uses mbtowc(): This function is buggy or lacking on some
platforms, and we have no replacement for -HAVE_WC_FUNCS cases. Should
better use mbrtowc().

 -2) Tabulations in headers do not survive <edit-headers>: Each tab is
converted to a space.

 -3) Multiple spaces sometimes do not survive <edit-headers>: They may
be converted to one space only, depending on wrap position.

 -4) Cosmetic: I hate to waste 8 precious columns width on each
continuation line. Would way prefer a space instead of a tab.

 -5) I think that wrapping on 76 columns makes sense for sent mails.
Same 76 may also make sense for <edit-headers>, for WYSIWYG (modulo
encodings). But pager display wrapping should have configurable width,
and be disablable. It should probably be disabled by default.

 -6) Sent "References:" are not wrapped.

 -7) Fields with addresses may be better wrapped not based on width, but
as one address per line.

 -8) Interactions of folding with $smart_wrap and $markers seem to me
perfectible. Especially a continuation line with a word longer than 80
chars will be splitted on 3 lines, or more, the 1st being the tab alone:

| Field-Name: something VeryVeryLongWord

    Gives:

| Field-Name: something
| <tab>
| <marker>VeryVeryLongW
| <marker>ord

    Should probably better show:

| Field-Name: something
| <tab>VeryVe
| <marker>ryLongWord

 -9) While experimenting, I had twice 0-byte temp file stay after clean
Mutt quit (without crash). Unreproducable though?

 -10) Isn't "fold" the good name in context, instead of "wrap"?

Bye!    Alain.
--
Followups to bug reports are public, and should go to bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
and the reporter (unless he is a member of mutt-dev). Do not CC mutt-dev mailing