Re: mutt/2430: mutt group aliases behave inconsistently

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2430; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2430: mutt group aliases behave inconsistently
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:00:37 +0200 (CEST)

 Hi Thomas,

  On Monday, August 21, 2006 at 22:35:02 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:

 > the "view full header" mode (right now, it only toggles header
 > weeding) should be turned into a "view raw header" mode that turns off
 > things like wrapping, and rewriting of addresses to display IDNs
 > properly.

     Hum... A no-wrap no-idn-decode no-rewrite mode would be interesting.
 In fact even a full-raw mode would be interesting too ($pipe_decode=no
 pipe-to-less does work, but outside of Mutt's pager, without its
 coloring, <functions>, and mini-index).

     But I question the mariage with $weed. After all users might want
 weeded no-rewrite, and/or full-headers normal rewrite. Rewrite and IDN
 are technically linked: What about extending $use_idn action?

     OTOS if we push the reasoning, we'll end with 42 tons of
 $display_weed, $display_header_sort, $display_header_wrap,
 $display_decode_idn, $display_decode_rfc2047=ask-yes,
 $display_nearly_raw_but_transcode_charset... Optionally linked with
 <display-toggle-weed> or not. That might be pushing too far.

     What about:

  - $weed unchanged (weeding and sorting at once).
  - $use_idn decodes IDN and rewrites addresses (with an explanation
 about why those 2 are linked together, and visible consequences on <>,
 "", (comments), addy (realname), syntax errors, and so on).
  - A future $pager_decode boolean (=yes by default) permits full raw
 display, similarly to $pipe_decode, $print_decode, $thorough_search, and
 friends. Dealing with charsets needs some thinking.
  - All this pager display-only. <edit-headers> and sent addresses are
 always canonicalized.

     MHO: $pager_decode is low priority (pipe-to-less exists). But I'm
 all for a no-rewrite mode: I somewhat dislike when Mutt shows me
 silently dumbed-down things, What You See Is Not What Is There. Given
 the IDN frequency, I'd probably set $use_idn=no permanently in muttrc.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 When you post a new message, beginning a new topic, use the "mail" or
 "post" or "new message" functions.