Re: The future of mailboxes?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:16:35AM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:

[snip]
> stay fast (compared to any file-based format), no matter how many
> messages you have, as will searching on message headers.  This is a
> big win for the user.  You'll need to use a database backend which

You're making the implicit assumption that databases will remain at the same
speed no matter how much data you pump in or how many rows in the tables,
and I don't think that's valid...

> And, as previously pointed out, this makes implementing virtual
> folders insanely easy.  That's a Good Thing.

Still doesn't outweigh the benefits of keeping the mail outside the
database, IMO, but there we go...

> There are performance benefits, but it doesn't compare to using a
> database wholesale.  Besides, isn't that what hcache already does?

Probably; I don't use it, so I've not really paid it much attention.

--
Paul