Re: hang on opening mailbox in UTF-8 env

* Thomas Roessler on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 14:04:12 +0200:
> On 2006-08-14 12:36:38 +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> Attached is a tarball with a Maildir containing 1 message where I
>> can reproduce the behaviour even with mutt -F /dev/null or mutt
>> -F /usr/local/etc/Muttrc -f TEST. I always have force quit with
>> Ctrl-\ -- needless to say that this is rather annoying.
>
>> There is no problem at all in an ISO8859-15 environment.
>
>> $ uname -a
>> Darwin krille.blacktrash.org 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
>> 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh
>> powerpc
>
> Interesting to see this happen on a Macintosh.
>
> I've had a similar problem when I did the change from 8859-15 to
> UTF-8 here during an upgrade from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5 --
> xterm would only display part of the index, and then things were
> hanging. Amazingly, what seems to have fixed the problem for me was
> to remove the X font server and have X11 read fonts directly from
> the hard disk.

Hm. I can read mailboxes and messages that are charset UTF and
contain non-ISO characters like
from mutt-users.

So I don't believe it's either a font

> So I'm not 100% convinced this is mutt itself hanging, as opposed to
> some terminal problem.

or a terminal problem. My guess would be that mutt is disturbed
by wrong headers when in an UTF-8 environment. -- Unfortunately
these headers occur rather too frequently and prevent me from
opening a whole mailbox.

_B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen!  --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>