Re: [RFC] header+body caching for POP

Hi,

* TAKAHASHI Tamotsu [06-05-11 00:37:10 +0900] wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2006, Rocco Rutte wrote:

I've started writing a patch for CVS head that ports the header caching used in Maildir and IMAP also to POP. In addition, via $imap_cachedir, mutt can cache whole messages and not just headers. I've also started porting this feature to POP.

POP header caching is very useful for me.

For me too, though I only use it sometimes to check whether I need to feed mail to my local machine. But it's so much faster.

If $message_cachedir is unset, mutt can't read POP messages.
I suspect this part:
   if (!(msg->fp = msg_cache_put (pop_data->conn, h->data)))
     return -1;

Hmm, msg_cache_put should return a temporary fp?

That must be an old version. I once removed the original simple caching (i.e. keep x messages in tempfiles and check if we still have it before download) in favor of $message_cachedir. When I noticed that the IMAP part still contains this simple kind of caching, I backed this change out again/merged in back in.

With version 16 of the patch I also removed some other changes so the diff gets smaller. With it I can view messages with $message_cachedir unset just fine (and can't remember to have seen the DELE -1 issue, btw.)

Thanks for looking at it!

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!